Today is one of those days where I just do not feel like eating healthy. I am getting very bored with eating the same old chicken and broccoli dinner. I had a strong craving for Italian food and I was so in the mood for ravioli but after eating a couple blondies today (oops!) I decided I needed to make a light dinner.
In my freezer I had two chicken breasts, half a container of ricotta cheese and some spinach. I decided to make my own version of Chicken Rollatini and it came out fabulously. I did not bread it or fry it but rather baked it smothered in tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. The end result was juicy, tender chicken breast filled with a lovely and flavorful ricotta filling.
Instead of pasta I baked broccoli with the leftover tomato sauce. I added garlic salt, pepper, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan. My oh my it tasted kind of like baked ziti. I was very surprised and I must say it sure fixed my Italian craving.
Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup thawed and drained frozen spinach
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Slice chicken breast in half length wise to create two thin chicken breasts (if not thin sliced already)
- Pound chicken breasts until they are thin and wider than before.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, fennel, and egg until well blended.
- Place ricotta mixture on each chicken breast and roll the chicken breast until no cheese is showing.
- Place chicken in baking pan and cover with tomato sauce.
- Cover each chicken breast with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.