Good morning everyone! Today I woke up nice and early with a hankering for pancakes… not the protein pancakes I usually make but tender, delicious buttermilk pancakes.
Two problems quickly arose:
- No pancake mix, or buttermilk for that matter
- No syrup!
This was not looking good, but I was determined and explored my fridge to see what I had. Raiding the fridge I found ricotta cheese, blueberries, and lemon.
Like I have said before, getting creative is so important when saving money. I could have gone to the grocery store and easily spent $10 on pancake ingredients (and of course whatever else I decided I wanted). By looking to see what is already around you may discover something even more delicious than you would have imagined.
Just look at these hotcakes. Thick yet fluffy, drowned in blueberry sauce. Need I say more? The picture speaks for itself. Along with how great they look, they taste amazing too. The tartness of the lemon and blueberries adds a nice zing to the moist and tender pancakes.
Ingredients: (This makes 1 serving but can easily be increased to make more)
- 1/4 c. part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or skim milk, soy milk, water, etc.)
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup (or sugar, honey, maple syrup)
- Pour blueberries, water, and agave in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, milk, lemon, ricotta cheese, salt, and baking powder.
- Cook pancakes over medium heat until cooked through.
- Serve with blueberry syrup and powdered sugar