It was a wonderfully warm Friday and Saturday here in North Carolina. Unfortunately today winter decided to return and it is actually snowing! I think it is the first snow (and hopefully the only) of the season. Yesterday was so warm out that Jonny and I decided to have a picnic. We bought lots of cheese, grapes, and other goodies and sat outside for a couple of hours. I am very glad we did because the warm weather was very short lived.
Now that our picnic is over I am left with a ton of brie! Of course you can’t buy just a little bit of brie, I had to buy a whole mini wheel of cheese! So now I’m stuck with 3/4 of a wheel of brie cheese that I need to turn into dinner. I have been putting off going grocery shopping all day. Today was my long run day and afterward I did not want to move, let alone go outside in this weather. Scanning the fridge I realized I had some corn tortillas left over, sour cream, and brie… hmmm. After some googling I found this wonderful recipe from Cooking Light. I made a few modifications such as using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas and subbing the granny smith apples with pink lady. I also experimented with a dipping sauce that just about knocked by socks off.
The result was delicious. The creamy, butteriness of the brie combined with peppery arugula and crisp sweet apples is the perfect combination. Served alongside a sweet yet sassy dipping sauce, this quesadilla was a yummy treat. The best part about it is that it takes about 5 minutes to make. Now that’s my kind of meal.
Ingredients (makes 1 quesadilla):
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 1-inch cube of brie cheese
- 1/2 apple, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp honey dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 tsp honey dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- Spread 1 tsp. honey dijon mustard over corn tortillas.
- Place apples, arugula, and brie over the tortilla, with mustard side inside. (I added a dash of salt here to bring out sweetness)
- Heat in a pan over medium-high heat until tortilla is browned and center is melted.
- Mix together sour cream, 2 tsp. dijon mustard, honey, and cinnamon.